To round out the year, we have an ultrasound case for you to look at. It’s a 1 year old Boxer with polyuria and polydipsia. Take a look and post your interpretations in the comments section.
There is a large, thick walled cystic structure associated with the cranial pole of the left kidney. This has a large amount of flocculent debris within the fluid and layered sediment. The left kidney has a blunted renal papilla and moderate pelvic dilation. The right kidney is severely misshapen and lobular with a cortical cyst, no identifiable medullary cavity and poor definition of the papilla. The urinary bladder wall is mildly thickened and irregular with a large amount of flocculent debris within the urine.
- Bilateral renal changes consistent with renal dysplasia and/or chronic pyelonephritis
- The thick walled cystic structure associated with the cranial pole of the left kidney likely represents an abscess. Enterobacter was cultured.
- Chronic cystitis
The cyst in the left kidney was drained using percutaneous ultrasound guidance. The fluid within it was similar to urine, and large numbers of enterobacter cloacae were cultured.
Renal dysplasia covers a wide group of genetic and congenital malformations of the kidney, some of which are breed related. On ultrasound, there may be a combination of altered architecture with more chronic consequences of renal disease. Kidneys may have altered size and shape, a radiating or striated pattern in the medulla, and poor corticomedullary distinction. This dog had secondary pyelonephritis and cystitis as well as primary renal dysplasia.
- Kolbjornsen O, Heggelund M, Jansen JH. End-stage kidney disease probably due to reflux nephropathy with segmental hypoplasia (Ask-Upmark kidney) in young Boxer dogs in Norway. A retrospective study. Veterinary Pathology 2008;45:467-474.
- Greco DS. Congenital and inherited renal disease of small animals. Veterinary Clinics of North America – Small Animal Practice 2001;31:393-399, viii.
- Hoppe A, Karlstam E. Renal dysplasia in boxers and Finnish harriers. Journal of Small Animal Practice 2000;41:422-426.
- Felkai C, Voros K, Vrabely T, et al. Ultrasonographic findings of renal dysplasia in cocker spaniels: eight cases. Acta Vet Hung 1997;45:397-408.